Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Virgin of the Annunciation



This is a painting by the Italian early Renaissance artist Fra Angelico (c. 1395-1455). It is not quite a profile painting and is called "The Virgin of the Annunciation". It was painted sometime between 1437 and 1446.


Fra Angelico was born around the same time as Paolo Uccello, who was the subject of my last blog. I picked this painting because it caught my attention and I have become very interested in Renaissance paintings that came before such figures as Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Raphael. I am very interested in seeing what Renaissance art was like when it first emerged. A lot of early Renaissance art seems to be religious-based, as is the case with this painting, which I strongly suspect is of the Virgin Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment